Tuesday 2 July 2013

The Places We'll Go...


Today during tuck, after all the lodgers got their treats, a few cabins gathered in centre field to read the Dr. Seuss book Oh, The Places You'll Go! What started as an activity to pass the time eventually changed into a conversation about the places we all want to go, both figuratively and literally. The question "what do you want to be? where do you want to go?" circled the group. Fun answers like "I want to always have tuck" and  "I hope I play games" lead into deeper, more heartfelt answers. Take Olivia, for example, and her dreams to become a famous public speaker at a clinic she wants to open up. Or think of Riley. He wants to be an EA at a high school someday. I was curious to see how (if at all) camp has affected the dreams and goals our lodgers have for themselves. Olivia said that camp "let's me be around people like me...no judgement". The question didn't stop when we reached the staff. Alix said that camp "confirmed what I want to do with my life in that it gave me the self-confidence to be myself and truly experience life to the fullest". 

It's encouraging to see camp helping people form goals, especially when we can sit beside each other and dream together. 

"Oh, the places you'll go! There is fun to be done!
There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. 
And the magical things you can do with that ball
will make you the winning-est winner of all."


No comments:

Post a Comment